Turtle Talk 6/12/17
June 12, 2017
It was another great week of practice. A huge thank you to the swimmers and parents that made time trials run so smoothly on Friday. Also, thanks for getting to practice early to be ready to start on time. This makes a huge difference. If you are new to the team, please don’t hesitate to ask questions to any of the volunteers or parents at practice. Our swim team is a family—we are here to help each other and breed a swimming community among kids and parents.
Upcoming Events of the Week…
- Afternoon practice will continue Monday through Friday this week.
- Turtles in Training will run Monday - Thursday at scheduled times this week and next (through June 15th). A sign-up genius link has been sent for families to sign up for morning practice times.https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/5080e48aaa92ca3f85-turtles1
- Please collect your team merchandise bags when you arrive for practice (suits, t-shirts, caps).
- Swim Team Parent meeting will be held today, June 12th at 6:00 pm in the picnic area. It will be geared for new families and those wanting to learn about meets, practices, spirit experiences, volunteer requirements, and more.
- Swim Meet at Mainland on Saturday morning, June 17th. This meet is open to all swim team members. More information below.
Important Mainland Meet Information:
- Warm-ups start at 8:30 am at MRA (Mainland Recreation Association). Plan to arrive early to be ready to start on time. Our team typically gathers in the parking lot and enters together.
- MRA is on Central Avenue in Linwood, NJ 08221. Closest crossing street is Oak Avenue. Take AC Expressway to exit 7 to Garden State Parkway South. Get off GPS at exit 36, Northfield Exit, which drops you off on Tilton Road. At the first light take a right onto Fire Road. Follow that a few miles to Central Avenue where you make a left. After the road goes downhill, there will be a lake on your left and the entrance to the pool is just past the lake. If you hit the light at Oak Avenue, you’ve gone too far. Turn around.
- Sign-up for your events outside the coaches’ office on the bulletin board no later than Wednesday, June 14th. Each swimmer may pick two events within their age group, but plan on staying through the end as most will swim in a relay. Also, it is important to stay to support your team throughout the meet.
- Reminder that all swimmers need a recorded time to be eligible for A meet relay and individual spots. Mainland participation would count toward this. Otherwise, see Coach Nancy.
- We need to provide volunteers to help run the Mainland meet. Please see Jill Ward if you are able to help.
Other News In June…
- Morning practice will begin the week of June 19th, except for those swimmers still in school. Those swimmers will be offered practice time in the afternoon. Morning schedule is as follows…
7:00-9:00 am—13 and overs
9:00-10:30 am—9 & 10s and 11 & 12s
10:30 am-12:00 pm—8 and unders (specific times will be determined later this week)
- Turtles in Training will only be run from 9:30-10:30 during the week of June 19th, as the pool will be open full time. We will not have access to the intermediate pool in the afternoon.
- Swim team pictures are scheduled for Wednesday, June 28th at 9:00 am. Forms will be placed in family folders as the date approaches. Swimmers must wear either the team suit or a solid black suit for this picture. Turtles in training are invited to participate, especially for family pictures.
- Look for Jill Ward and Christy Sanders to sign up for A-meet and B-meet volunteer opportunities. It is the volunteers that ensure a smooth meet for our swimmers. These ladies are happy to train you on any job!
SAFETY REMINDER: The pool is currently closed during the weekday practices. Swimmers should NOT be in the baby pool area or left unsupervised around the medium pool. Lifeguards are NOT on duty during practices at these locations and we need to ensure everyone’s safety. Thank you.